Sunday, March 12, 2017

Weeks 4 and 5: More work and Fusion360

While on-site, not much more than the usual happened. I helped make/supervise a machine make parts. The car's supposed to be finished by Wednesday, so that will be interesting.

However, what did happen was that a few days ago, I downloaded Fusion360, which is a computer aided design (CAD) program. For those of you unaware, CAD programs allow you to design parts, and often come along with more software that allow you to create instructions for machines to make the part. (This is known as Computer Aided Manufacturing (CAM) software.) There are many out there, including Solidworks (which is used in most colleges) and AutoCAD. Fusion360 was recommended by the Baja people because it offers a 3-year free educational license. (So if current BASIS student who wants to go into engineering happens upon this, I highly recommend you downloading it.) I'm still not sure how all these softwares differ from each other, but they are certainly fascinating.

It just so happens that I also need the CAD software for a class I'm in. I've been using that to gain a basic knowledge of how these programs work. Below is a picture of something I created for it. I'm also using the CAM aspect of it to try and model how a machine would make it, and it's quite interesting.


2 comments:

  1. Will you be able to actually produce a piece you design, or are you only producing for the actual car this spring? In other words, how busy are the machines?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Baja team has given me permission to make stuff of my own (that's what the other interns are doing as well, I think). So no, the machines aren't particularly busy.

      However, with regards to that specific piece, I found out that in order to make it, I would need to create a support component (called a "slug"), due to the fact that it is hollow. That would require much more time, and so I've put that project aside for now. But with a easier-to-create piece, I could actually make it.

      Delete